For nearly 20 years, we've honored outstanding nonprofit organizations for their work on building healthy communities in and around our campuses in Durham, NC and Philadelphia, PA through the GSK IMPACT Awards. This past Tuesday, December 2, we hosted the 2014 IMPACT Award ceremony for the Philadelphia winners and awarded $40,000 to nine local nonprofits. These winners address pressing community health challenges, including helping kids succeed in school, improving access to affordable housing, and increasing healthy eating.
Congratulations to the 2014 IMPACT Award winners in Philadelphia:
- After School Activities Partnerships – Building healthy communities by developing high-quality after-school activities and resources to empower youth and strengthen communities.
- The Center for Grieving Children– Building healthy communities by supporting the needs of grieving children and families.
- Community Design Collaborative of Philadelphia– Building healthy communities by strengthening neighborhoods through design.
- Gearing Up - A Nonprofit Corporation– Building healthy communities by providing women in transition from abuse, addiction, and/or incarceration with the skills, equipment, and guidance to ride a bicycle for exercise, transportation, and personal growth.
- Graduate! Philadelphia– Building healthy communities byhelping adults complete their college degrees.
- Pennsylvania Horticultural Society– Building healthy and green communities by creating a sense of community through horticulture.
- Philadelphia Youth Network, Inc. – Building healthy communities by changing systems and improving educational and economic outcomes for youth.
- University City District – Building a healthy, vibrant University City through major investments in public space development, public maintenance, and public safety.
- YouthBuild Philly – Building healthy communities by helping young people to rebuild their lives (earning their diplomas, learning vital job skills, and providing community services).